Want to impress that special someone on Valentine’s Day? Whether you’re going out for lunch/dinner or staying home, why not prepare this delicious dessert to win hearts. My sister made this years ago and we just had to have the recipe.
Coeur à la crème with raspberries
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 pckg (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 c. confectioners’ (or icing) sugar
- 1/4 c. sour cream
- 1 c. heavy cream, whipped
- 2 t. cornstarch (cornflour)
- 2 T orange-flavoured liqueur
- 1 pckg (10 oz) frozen strawberries, thawed
- 1/2 pint fresh raspberries if available
- 1 T julienned orange zest
1. Line six 1/2 c. coeur à la crème molds (see note) with cheesecloth with enough overhang to cover filling later. In bowl, combine seeds from vanilla bean, cream cheese, sugar and sour cream; beat until smooth. Fold in whipped cream. Spoon into molds; fold cheesecloth over filling. Refrigerate at least 6 hours.
2. Make sauce: In saucepan, blend cornstarch with liqueur. In food processor, puree thawed raspberries; pass through sieve placed over same pan. Bring to boiling, stirring. Cool. Stir in fresh raspberries and 1 1/2 t. zest.
3. To serve: Unwrap and invert each coeur à la crème on to a plate. Pour sauce on and around each coeur; top with remaining zest. Makes 6 servings, 1 1/2 c. sauce.
Until next time,
Your Boomer Life Partners
Note: You will find the molds in fine kitchen shops and some restaurant/hospitality suppliers.